A Rundown on Dentures: What You Need to KnowA snugly fit of dentures can restore your gappy smile. Consider getting a set of false teeth today to boost your oral health, functionality and self-confidence.
Dentures are artificial gums and teeth molded to your mouth. Your dentist forms them to replace lost or extracted natural teeth. They are commonly known as false teeth. Presently dentures are made using tough resin, or metal. Also, porcelain and plastic are viable materials.
The teeth are attached to a foundation structure shaped like the gum line made of a flexible material. Denture teeth are more fragile compared to natural teeth. They crack and chip easily if mishandled. There is a need to replace them every five years. A prosthodontist or a general dentist performs a denture fitting.
Types of Dentures
They come in two types, partial and full. Full dentures replace all teeth in either the top or lower jaw while partial dentures replace few missing teeth if you still have healthy teeth. Partial dentures are preferred over other replacement options when the neighbouring teeth are not healthy enough to support implants like bridges. They are laid on the gum line and bound to the surrounding natural teeth to prevent falling out.
On the other hand, complete dentures are held in place by suction or an oral adhesive. The teeth are attached to a plate on your gums. This structure is molded to match the color of your gums, and it’s not noticeable. Both dentures can be taken off easily for cleaning or while sleeping.
Partial and full dentures have been further developed into two more types. Immediate and overdentures. Immediate dentures are produced before your teeth are taken out. They are fitted immediately after extraction and through the healing period. They can also be redesigned to account for the mouth changes like diminished swelling of the gums. Immediate dentures are thrown out after you heal, which takes six weeks.
Overdentures are a more comfortable choice if you have remaining natural teeth. They are fixed over roots of natural teeth or dental implants. Dentures can also be fastened on dental implants. These are known as implant-supported dentures, and they are mostly fit on the lower jaw.
Advantages of Dentures
Some reasons to replace missing teeth by wearing dentures include:
- Enhancement of the appearance of your smile
- Conserves the structure of the mouth by supporting the cheeks and lips to prevent sagging
- Facilitates chewing of food
- Replacing decayed and painful teeth
- Improving speech
How to Take Care of Dentures
All dentures have to be cleaned daily like natural teeth. Despite being false teeth, bacteria and plaque can still develop and cause illness to the gums or remaining teeth. The cleaning procedure is a follows:
- Take them out of your mouth.
- Place under running water to get rid of trapped food bits between the teeth or under the denture
- Brush the denture everywhere using a soft toothbrush and mild soap
- Rinse thoroughly
- Clean your gums and teeth with a soft wet toothbrush and toothpaste. Alternatively, you can use your finger and a clean cloth to rub gently on every surface.
- Soak the dentures in warm water to preserve their shape and keep them from drying.
Here are more tips on taking care of dentures:
- Avoid cleaning dentures using an electric toothbrush and toothpaste. They are too harsh and can enhance wear and tear.
- Denture soaking solution can only be used for dentures without metal components that can be corroded.
- Remember to remove your dentures before sleeping to prevent damage and relax your gums.
- Keep away from tough, chewy, and sticky food such as candy that can dislodge the denture.
- Don’t bend the clips when handling during cleaning.
- Taking hot beverages can twist the denture materials.
Do They Have Side Effects?
You may notice the following after installation:
- Increased saliva
- Difficulty in chewing
- Labored speech
- Irritation and mouth sores
Consult a dentist near you if you notice an abnormal odor, pressure sores, chips on the false teeth and a loose fit over your gums.
Losing teeth can occur suddenly due to various reasons including, injury, medical conditions or infection. This uncertain nature calls for efficient denture fitting near you. If you need dentures near 11385 consider, Mamkin Dentistry Aesthetic and Restorative Center. We guarantee to provide you with comfortable and functional dentures in Ridgewood.