Children Dentistry FAQsChildren’s dental health needs as much attention as adults, if not more. Pediatric dental practices should start from infancy. Yes, the primary teeth will fall off, but they form a solid foundation for the secondary ones and influence their dental structure.
In this post, our pediatric dentist will some of the questions about children’s dentistry in Ridgewood, NY.
Why Visit a Pediatric Dentist?
Pediatric dentists are different from the general ones when it comes to training. After the basic dental education, pediatric dentists go through a two-year training to learn about the different dental problems affecting children. They also learn about children’s behavioral and psychological needs and are therefore equipped to handle your child and keep them calm.
When you visit our pediatric dental clinic, you will notice the kid-friendly décor, books, and games that are designed to relax your child before the dental procedure.
When Should My Child Get the First Dental Assessment?
We recommend visiting our pediatric dentist in Ridgewood, NY, as soon as the first tooth comes out or right before the child turns one. This will allow our dentist to detect any dental abnormalities and address them early.
The first visit is usually short, lasting about 30 minutes, but it is important. It gives the dentist and the child a chance to establish a rapport. During the consultation, our dentist will examine the gums and remove any plaque buildup using a soft cloth.
How Can You Prepare Your Child For the First Dental Visit?
A visit to the dental clinic can be nerve-wracking for anyone, even more so for children. It is, therefore, important to ensure your child is calm and relaxed. Here are a few tips:
- Book a morning dental appointment when the child is alert, and ensure they are well-rested and fed.
- If it’s a toddler, talk to them and explain what to expect at the dental office. It may help to show them a few videos or pictures of dentists. This will make them know that dentists are to be trusted.
- Keep calm because the child can sense when you are tense, and this will affect them too.
What Services do We Offer?
We provide a range of Children dentistry in Ridgewood, NY services designed to support your child’s dental health.
1. Preventive services
Preventive dental services are designed to maintain proper dental health. Our services include:
- Dental exams and cleaning. We recommend coming for a comprehensive dental assessment and cleaning every six months. Brushing and flossing are great, but plaque can still develop. A professional dental cleaning will keep your child’s teeth in great condition.
- Fluoride treatments. Fluoride is an essential mineral that strengthens the teeth and helps to prevent dental cavities. We will advise on the frequency of the fluoride treatments and what products you can use at home.
- Dental sealants. Sealants are painted on the teeth to protect them from cavities. The sealants are applied mostly on the back teeth because they have grooves that can trap food particles.
- Mouthguards. If your child suffers from bruxism, mouthguards can help shield the teeth from the pressure.
- Education. As part of our preventive dental measures, our dentist will share information on teething, developmental milestones to watch for, and nutrition—the teeth-friendly foods you should give to your child.
2. Restorative dental services
Our restorative, pediatric dental services are geared to treat any decay and restore dental integrity. The services include:
- Root canal treatment. We perform this procedure if the decay has damaged the pulp. The dentist will remove the infected pulp and use a dental filling to restore the strength.
- Extractions. We only carry out a tooth extraction only if the teeth are severely damaged and cannot be saved.
- Dental crowns and filings
3. Emergency dentistry
We know dental accidents can occur at any time, and when they do, you need immediate dental treatment. Our Mamkin emergency dental clinic is open, and you access treatment at any time.
Schedule an Appointment
At Mamkin Dentistry, we strive to make every pediatric dental appointment memorable and pleasant. Our dental team is qualified and trained to handle your child with care and keep them relaxed. Contact us today.